KeySoft 9.3.1 Upgrade
KeySoft 9.3.1 applies to all BrailleNote or VoiceNote Apex models regardless of their current version. This upgrade is completely free to all Apex users and requires no new product key for installation. If you have KeySoft 9.2.x installed on your Apex, simply download the 9.3.1 version and install it. If you are running a version earlier than KeySoft 9.2, please download the KeySoft 9.2 product key from http://license.humanware.com/CustomerPages/CustomerDefault.aspx to the same installation SD card or thumb drive as the KeySoft 9.3.1 software file found below. Once you have a KeySoft 9.2 product key installed on your system, you will not need to install a product key again for future versions.
Please note that once KeySoft 9.3.1 is installed, downgrading to a previous version of KeySoft is no longer supported.
- Fixed an issue where users were unable to click on links in documents or emails.
- Added a new hot key in the web browser (Backspace + J or ctrl + J on QT units) to immediately jump to the browser scripting setting. This is useful if the user wishes to change the way a page is displayed by toggling this setting on or off.
- Other stability improvements.
Instant Access to DOCX Documents:
Now DOCX documents saved in Microsoft Word 2007 or later can be opened and read using your BrailleNote Apex. What’s more, unlike other similar portable devices, KeySoft will not strip out the primary formatting of a document, allowing you to understand how the document is laid out. View such formatting as heading styles, tables, footnotes and endnotes, and page alignment changes using both speech and braille. Either view the document in KeyWeb using familiar navigation keystrokes or, alternatively, you can obtain a simplified version of the DOCX file in KeyWord for editing.
Improved Web Browsing Experience
KeyWeb has been optimized to eliminate some of the frustrations that have been reported by users of mobile devices. Some of the changes you will immediately notice are:
- Elimination of security alerts on sites: In the past certain web content required repeated acceptance of a security alert message, causing delays in the browsing experience. With KeySoft 9.3.1’s KeyWeb enhancements, these security messages are a thing of the past!
- Access to www.bookshare .org has been optimized for books to be downloaded more efficiently with the elimination of these security messages.
- Downloading of National Library Service (NLS) digital talking or Braille books: Now with KeySoft 9.3.1, these books can be directly downloaded using your BrailleNote or VoiceNote Apex.
- Improvement of webpage layout: In the past, some web content was bypassed when reading a webpage in KeyWeb. KeySoft 9.3.1 improves webpage rendering making more webpage content available to you. Some of your everyday websites that you will immediately see improved because of this change are Facebook, Gmail, and Amazon.com.
VoiceNote Keyboard Control over Connected Devices:If you are a VoiceNote Apex user, you can now utilize your VoiceNote’s Braille or QWERTY keyboards to control connected devices. Similar to Braille Terminal Mode on the BrailleNote Apex, VoiceNote users can now select the terminal option from the Main Menu, and use its keyboard to input text into an iPhone or iPad rather than using the lengthy process of using the touch screen. Alternatively, if you are a fast braillist, you may find it beneficial to use the VoiceNote’s braille keyboard to create and edit documents on your computer.
KeySoft Software Upgrade Procedure:Note: Prior to updating to a new version of KeySoft, it is always valuable to ensure you have backed up your important data to a removable media such as a USB thumb drive or SD card. Once you insert the storage device in the Apex, the backup and restore options can be found in the Utilities menu.
Installation procedure using removable memory:
To upgrade the BrailleNote Apex to a recent version, you will need to acquire the software upgrade file. The software upgrade file has a HWI extension.
You will also need an installation SD card. If you do not have a SD card a thumb drive may be used, keeping in mind that the recommended method is via a SD card.
To prepare the storage media, follow the instructions below:
1. Insert the SD card in the computer's SD card reader. You may also use an external SD card reader connected to the computer's USB port.
2. Download the software upgrade file to the PC.
3. Make sure to copy this file in a location you will be able to locate.
4. Copy this file into the root directory of your SD card. It does not matter if there are other files and folders present.
Once the installation SD card is ready, please follow this procedure:
1. Connect your BrailleNote Apex to a power outlet. Neglecting to do so may cause device memory corruption.
2. Make sure the BrailleNote Apex is powered on.
3. Verify that there is no SD card in the BrailleNote's SD card slot and that the USB drives are not being used.
4. Insert the installation SD card. The BrailleNote Apex will confirm that an SD card was inserted. You will be asked to perform a soft reset. When the Apex has rebooted, it will ask you if you want to install this new software version. Press Y to proceed with installation or N to abort.
5. Beeps and progress messages will be heard throughout the installation process. This Procedure can take up to 10 minutes to complete.
6. When installation is complete, the BrailleNote will restart. The new installation has been completed when the startup music is heard and you are in the main menu. Note that the installation file has been deleted from the SD card.
7. You are now ready to use KeySoft 9.3.1.
Installation procedure using the Apex internal memory:
Alternatively, you can download the installation upgrade file directly on the Apex Flash disk. When downloaded, the file should be saved in the Flash Disk's "None," folder. Please consult the user guide for information on downloading files.
In case of problems during installation:
If an installation failure message is heard, do not reset the device. Remove the installation SD card and insert it again. If the problem persists, contact Technical support.
After reading the above instructions, download the files from the below links to upgrade to KeySoft 9.3.1
Download KeySoft 9.3.1 for BrailleNote Apex family
(If you experience difficulties downloading the software upgrade file to your computer or using Firefox,
Please download this zip file for KeySoft 9.3.1
Please unzip the file on your PC prior to following the installation procedure described above.)
Download KeySoft 9.3.1 release notes