Trekker Breeze 2.0.1 Upgrade
This document describes useful information regarding HumanWare's Trekker Breeze 1.2.0 GPS orientation aid.
Please refer to the What's new section to consult a list of product highlights.
Software update installation procedures are described in Section 2.
Upgrading your Breeze software using the Trekker Map Manager
With Trekker Map Manager, version 2.0.24 and later, it is now possible to download directly Breeze upgrades to your SD card without need to download the version from the Humanware web site. It is also possible to upgrade the Trekker Map Manager itself and change its language within the application. Refer to Software Update Installation section for details on downloading the Breeze software.
- When a destination address that includes an apostrophe in the street name is entered, Breeze 2.0.1 creates a valid landmark which can later be retrieved in the destination list. Breeze 2.0.0 did not allow the retrieval of such a landmark.
- In map dictionary, "CT" abbreviation is replaced by "Court" instead of "Crescent".
What's new in Trekker Breeze 2.0.0
With Breeze 2.0, experience new ways to use your GPS to its full capabilities. The newest Trekker Breeze version is packed with a powerful set of features to help you explore your travel environment even further.
Exploring new places has never been so easy
Get guidance to a destination address
The new Breeze version offers an easy and intuitive way to get to a new destination address. When entering an address, the Breeze's keys are used like a cell phone keypad. The entered address will be kept in the destination list as one of your landmarks. You can then be guided to that address with pedestrian or motorized turn instructions as easily as you do with landmarks. To facilitate planning your trip, you can create the address landmark while you are at home, even without GPS coverage.
The Breeze will now remember your previous pedestrian track even after you turn Off the device. Once you turn your Breeze On again, you can use the Backtrack Previous Session option to be guided back to your point of origin, following the steps you used to get to your current position.
Reverse a pre-recorded route
Walk your way to better health!
The Breeze pedometer will help you keep track of your walking objectives. It provides your walking distance, walking time and average speed during the current session. This information is available through the Information button and can be reset at your convenience.
Expand your world of information
Enrich your Breeze with custom GPS information imported from the PC: Breeze supports GPX and CSV, the two most widely used formats to exchange GPS information.
Importing addresses from the PC
Use your PC to convert addresses into Breeze landmarks. To do this, visit specialized websites such as GPS Visualizer (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocoder/ ) that allow you to convert addresses into GPX files, a popular exchange format. The Map Manager, included on your Companion CD, can be used to locate them on your computer and import them to the Breeze as landmarks or Points of Interest according to your preference.
Breeze allows the integration of available sources of Points of Interest (P.O.I). Sets of locations, such as the local veterinarian, bus stops in your city or any other interesting destination, can be transferred to the Breeze via the Map Manager. The Map Manager's external P.O.Is import feature supports database files in CSV or GPX formats. GPX files can be obtained using specialized online tools such as GPS Visualizer. Each imported database is dynamically added to the list of categories in the "What's Around" feature. This makes it possible to perform specific searches using those databases. As with any database, the P.O.I information requires the use of a standard format, as described in the Trekker Map Manager User Guide.
Enjoy many other enhancements
- Landmarks are sorted by creation date.
- Added "Public Administration" to What's Around category list
- Driving instruction when entering a round-about is systematically "Drive onto" instead of indicating right or left
- Once a route to a destination (user landmark or commercial P.O.I) has been created online, you can use the indoor preview feature to browse the turn instructions without being disturbed by your actual GPS position.
- Integrated installation of ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center during installation of Trekker Map Manager.
- When Breeze starts in an Open Area, city name and GPS readiness are announced
- 4-way intersections are now completely described in presence of streets with no name
- Added "Success" message after Reset GPS Position in Settings
- In Open areas, detection of landmarks or P.O.Is now gives clockwise orientation instead of degrees.
- Fixed problem of early detection of destination when recorded route is a loop between origin and destination.
- Warns user if SD card is in read-only mode at application start (prevents creation of landmarks or routes)
- In landmark detection message, superfluous "nearby" message is never announced because it is implied.
Software update installation
There are two ways to achieve this:
1.1 Download from Trekker Map Manager
1. Download Map Manager version 2.0.24.
2. Insert the SD card in the computer's SD card reader. You may also use an external SD card reader connected to the computer's USB port.
3. In the Options pages of the Map Manager, select the button "Check for Breeze Upgrade" and follow the instructions.
Once the installation SD card is ready, please follow this procedure:
4. Connect your Trekker Breeze device to a power outlet. Neglecting to do so may cause device memory corruption.
5. Remove the Trekker Breeze SD card if still present in the device. Turn on the device and wait for the "Please insert storage card" message.
6. Insert the installation SD card. After a few seconds, you should hear an installation welcome message.
7. A message will announce an automatic restart of the Breeze about one minute later.
8. After the restart, beeps will be played by the device at regular intervals for about two minutes. Wait for the installation success message.
9. If installation SD card is different from Trekker Breeze SD card containing the map, remove it and insert Trekker Breeze SD card.
10. Press the Reset button to restart Trekker Breeze.
- If Trekker Breeze SD card is used for installation purposes, all installation files will be deleted after pressing the Reset button at the end of the installation.
- In case of problems during installation:
If the installation success message is not announced after a few minutes or if an installation failure message is heard instead, do not reset the device. Remove the installation SD card and insert it again. If the problem persists, contact technical support.
1.2 Download from the HumanWare website:
This file is available on the HumanWare website. The Installation upgrade file is an executable file with an .exe extension. A PC is required to perform the installation. You can use the Breeze SD Card (the card containing your geographical maps) or another SD Card to perform the installation. The selected card will be referred to as the Installation SD card later in the text.
To prepare the installation SD card, follow the instructions below. Please note that during the installation process, you may receive a Microsoft security message asking you to authorize the installation. If such is the case, activate the "Run" button to launch the installation.
1. Insert the SD card in the computer's SD card reader. You may also use an external SD card reader connected to the computer's USB port.
2. Download the installation upgrade file to the PC. Double-click the file.
3. From the opened dialog box, select the proper SD card location from the list of those found on the computer and press OK.
4. The Trekker Breeze upgrade program will be copied to the installation SD card.
5. Once the SD card is ready, follow the steps 4 to 10 from section 2.1.